11/18/2014

MACCARRICK BROTHERS TRILOGY BY KRESLEY COLE (IF YOU DARE, IF YOU DESIRE, IF YOU DECEIVE): THE HISTORICAL ROMANCE, 21st CENTURY VERSION

RATING GUIDE:
 
6 – Life-Affirming and Life-Changing!
5 – A keeper!   
4 – Very good
3 –  Passable
2 –  I’d rather read a telephone book
1 – An absolute bomb.  Read at your own risk!
0 – Nothing will compensate for what I lost reading this book 

 
The only exposure I’ve had to reading historical romances has been by way of a few Dame Barbara Cartland’s novels, where absolutely nothing steamy goes on between the characters other than a chaste kiss that occurs at the END of the story.  Although I did come across a Barbara Cartland novel that tried to keep up in step with the times (this was a novel in the seventies, if I remember right), I remember feeling absolutely scandalized when the hero grabbed the heroine’s boob at the end.  Not that I have anything against sexy scenes in books.  It’s just that it felt a little “off” to have Dame Barbara combine old-fashioned romance with a little boob-grabbing.  Now, Kresley Cole attempts to update the historical romance for the 21st century with her MacCarrick Brothers trilogy (“If You Dare,” “If You Desire” and “If You Deceive”) by combining it with … what else?  A lot of hot sex.  Is it possible to combine the old and the new without turning readers off?  Let’s find out.

The MacCarrick Brothers trilogy is the story of three Scottish brothers --- Court, Hugh and Ethan --- who appear to be doomed to remain forever single and childless, no thanks to a family curse.  None of them can marry, unless they want their wives to … well, drop dead.  So, the brothers try to steer clear of serious relationships until they meet “the one”. 

Like I said, the only exposure I’ve had to historical romances comes from reading Barbara Cartland’s novels.  And I have no idea what a Scottish man (hunk?) from a few centuries ago might act/sound (is he anything like The Highlander from the movies?).  So I’m not sure whether Kresley Cole’s MacCarrick hunks are credible at all.  As for Cole’s heroines, well, they do seem like feistier (and sometimes, more annoying) versions of some of Barbara Cartland’s heroines.  I suppose the difference between Cartland and Crosley’s novels lies in the abundance of sex.

I suppose the concept of No Sex Before Marriage is practically dead in the 21st century, which explains why the heroes and heroines of Cole’s novels have to get it on, even when they supposedly live in more conservative times (Fine.  If you really must have those in the book …).  Thankfully, Cole’s sex scenes are steamy without being gross and (obviously?) gratuitous. 

While I do appreciate Crosley’s more modern, lustier take on the historical romance, I am still a hopeless, old school romantic at heart.  I don’t need sex scenes to make me swoon over a story, just a brooding, handsome, angst-ridden hunk who can make the heroine’s knees buckle with one simple kiss.  Give me a Cartland novel anytime. 

RATING:  4


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento