9/03/2013

VANESSA’S VAEKARIA BOOK 2 (ISADORA, ANG HULING TUNAY NA BIRHEN NG LAMIA): A POPULAR CLASSIC AND A GOLD-MINE IN THE MAKING


RATING GUIDE:
 
5 – A keeper!   
4 – Very good
3 –  Passable
2 –  I’d rather read a telephone book
1 – An absolute bomb.  Read at your own risk!


If you have been following my blog, you know I was pleasantly surprised by the first book in Vanessa’s Vaekaria series (Andrei, Ang Itinakwil Na Anak Ng Tenon), and was curious about its forthcoming installments.  Well, here at last is Book Two, and I must say I am more than pleasantly surprised by this book.  In fact, I am absolutely bowled over by it and I just love, love, LOVE this book!  Move over, Harry Potter and Mortal Instruments … for here is Vaekaria … and guess what?  It’s Proudly Philippine-Made!

Vanessa’s wonderful second book is the story of Isadora, a wizard of heavenly beauty and brains.  She disguises herself as a “love slave” in a brothel called “Talutot” in order to get close to (and eliminate) the warrior Vaekarian champions and thus save Yorgos, her childhood friend and secret love.  It is on this mission that she meets a warrior named Pyrros.  Isadora is supposed to hate Pyrros, but for some reason, Pyrros reminds her of someone very important in her life … soon, Isadora finds herself falling for Pyrros … but Pyrros is a criminal!  Pyrros wants to kill Yorgos!  What must she do?

Many Filipino readers are turned off by the prospect of reading books in Filipino because they have the impression that books in Filipino are either (1) Trashy, or (2) Heavy and boring as hell.  Well, this book is well-made and extremely entertaining … definitely worth your money from the very first down to the very last page.

I don’t think I have come across an original book in Filipino that is as funny and entertaining as this one.  I was laughing out loud by the time I made it to the second page, and the laughs just kept on coming.  The characters are very lovable and entertaining, including some of Vanessa’s side characters (you just have to love Isadora’s pet frog and its special, er, “ability”!).  The story advances along quite smoothly and quickly, there’s never a dull moment, and there are really surprise twists that are just very entertaining.  Of course, keep in mind that this book wasn’t written to change the world … but this book does deliver and gives its reader a hell of a good time. 

In fact, this gem of a book is such a wonderful read that I wish the publisher would consider translating this book into English and exporting it … give the global reading market a sampling of popular Filipino fiction!  I do believe it has the potential of doing very well in the international market.  I also think the networks or the producers would be fools not to bring this story to life in a movie (an MMFF entry, at least!) or a telenovela.  If there’s anything that can revive the love of Filipinos for the fantaserye trend, I believe this book is  it.  Why, I can already imagine the actors and actresses who could bring life to this story! 

I really have to congratulate Vanessa for coming up with such an entertaining and memorable book … and yes, I can’t wait for Book Three to come out!

RATING:  5






Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento