8/29/2013

VANESSA’S VAEKARIA BOOK 1 (ANDREI, ANG ITINAKWIL NA ANAK NG TENON): ROMANCE-FANTASY, PINOY-STYLE




RATING GUIDE:
 
5 – A keeper!   
4 – Very good
3 –  Passable
2 –  I’d rather read a telephone book
1 – An absolute bomb.  Read at your own risk!

To be honest, I really wish writers would stop writing about creatures --- I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who’s fed up with all these stories featuring wizards, warlocks, elves, vampires and other mythical beings … but then, I came across THIS book in a Precious Pages bookstore and my curiosity was piqued.  It’s an epic story written by Vanessa, one of Precious Pages Corporation’s romance writers and I just had to see for myself if this very thick book was worth my time and money. 

In the first book of her series, Vanessa introduces us to the world of Vaekaria, and its inhabitants.  Vaekaria consists of five states or territories, each with its own kind of magical powers and creatures.  Vaekaria was sealed off hundreds of years ago, and its inhabitants cannot cross to the world of human beings (Nador Theal) without losing their powers.  On the other hand, mortal beings cannot enter Vaekaria without being accompanied by one of its magical residents.

Alexandra, a wizard of sorts, enters the mortal world together with her beautiful, beki friend, Venus, for a special mission.  She has to bring back Andrei, a gorgeous, womanizing rock star who’s actually a vampire, into her world so he can save her fiancé, Yorgos, who has been imprisoned for many, many years.  At first, Alexandra hates Andrei’s guts (she hates ALL vampires, for one thing); but she finds herself drawn to him.  Pretty soon, Alexandra is in love with Andrei … but she’s supposed to marry Yorgos!

Vaekaria is a typical Pinoy romance that rides on the currently popular trend of mythical/magical creatures and other worlds/dimensions in fiction.  To be honest, I expected to be bored to tears by this book (I have reached my saturation point when it comes to reading about magical creatures and kingdoms, and The Lord of the Rings gave me a headache), but this book was surprisingly entertaining, owing largely to its Pinoy touch.  I especially enjoyed reading the antics of Alexandra’s beki friend, Venus, who almost stole the show from Vanessa’s main characters, with her laugh-out-loud quotable quotes and antics.  Between the Mortal Instruments series and this book, I think I had more fun reading this.

I wonder what happens in Book 2 …

RATING:  4


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento