5/07/2013

JOHN GREEN’S "THE FAULT IN OUR STARS": A CLASSIC IN THE MAKING



RATING GUIDE:
 
5 – A keeper!   
4 – Very good
3 –  Passable
2 –  I’d rather read a telephone book
1 – An absolute bomb.  Read at your own risk!


I’m in what you would call a Positive Thinking phase right now.  I’ve been reading a lot of books and watching a lot of videos that talk about how you pull things, people and situations in your life based on what you think or want. 

If you’ve been following my blog, you probably know that I’ve been looking for a book that doesn’t feature vampires, witches or other creatures.  Something with heft and substance. Something that will leave me breathless.

I have yet to see an end to the vampire trend in literature (will someone put an end to it already?), but at least, my second wish came true.  I got to read something with heft and substance over the weekend, and yes, it did leave me breathless.  In fact, I’ll go so far as to say I found a book that’s pure magic … and no, you won’t find Harry Potter here. 

"The Fault In Our Stars" is the story of Hazel, a sixteen-year old girl with cancer.  Her illness has made her unable to participate in many of the activities her peers enjoy; she is fairly isolated, and only interacts with her parents and her girl friend.  Cancer has practically turned her into a recluse who prefers books to actual people, until she meets Augustus, a hunky teenager who is also a cancer survivor.  Hazel and Augustus strike up a friendship which blossoms into something much, much more … until cancer threatens to cut it short.

It is hard to list down everything I love about this book, because there’s just A LOT to love. 

I really appreciate John Green’s portrayal of cancer victims as people who are the same as people who don’t have that sickness.  Cancer victims come in all shapes and sizes (hey, he can even be a hunk like Augustus!), they can be as nice or as mean as anyone, and most importantly, they fall in love, too. 

At times, Hazel and Augustus sound a little too smart and witty that you wonder if John Green is on the verge of sounding pretentious, but I’d like to believe they are just “built” that way (after all, they start bonding over books … so nerdy but very sweet, I think!). 

There’s something in every character for you to identify with and love … and that includes Peter Van Houten, the reclusive author who unwittingly binds Hazel and Augustus together.  He’s as mean as hell, but John Green manages to write his character in such a way that one actually feels sorry for him.  Personally, it is Augustus I love the most.  Who wouldn’t fall for a hunky amputee with atrocious bad driving skills and a heart as big as the ocean?  I almost wept for him towards the end of the story. 

This is the first John Green I ever read, and it really surprised me that this was a book for young adults, because this is as much a book for grown-ups as it is for young ones.  It is a book about being a teenager in the 21st century, but it is also a book that deals with the “heavy” stuff:  illness, death, moving on, the meaning of life, among others.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across a book that portrays the complexities of life in such an original and interesting way.  To capture the good in the worst of moments, or strength and dignity in one’s weakest and most humiliating moments, or joy in the middle of grief … the way John Green accomplished all of those things is simply inspired and brilliant.  It’s as grim as death itself, but it is also as warm as the sun and as joyful as a child’s laugh. 

There are many, many profound, valuable lessons about life in this book, and young adults as well as grown-ups will benefit so much from reading this rare, literary gem that I’m sure will be a classic in no time at all.

RATING:  5







 








Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento