10/13/2014

“WONDER” BY R.J. PALACIO: A CLASSIC IN THE MAKING, A WONDER BEYOND COMPARE


RATING GUIDE:
 
6 – Life-Affirming and Life-Changing!
5 – A keeper!   
4 – Very good
3 –  Passable
2 –  I’d rather read a telephone book
1 – An absolute bomb.  Read at your own risk!
 
If you’re a book lover like me, I’m sure you know that there are books, and there are BOOKS.  R.J. Palacio’s “Wonder” is an example of the latter. 

But have you ever come across a book that’s so mind-boggingly, heart-stoppingly beautiful that it’s like taking a look inside God’s heart?  If you haven’t, then be prepared for that marvelous experience when you read this book.  For “Wonder” is not just a keeper, but a profound spiritual experience.

R.J. Palacio’s “Wonder” is the story of Auggie, a young boy who can be considered fairly lucky.  He has a loving set of parents, a beautiful sister who watches over him constantly, a sweet dog named Daisy.  But Auggie was born with a tragedy that has loomed over him from the day he was born.  He was born with a medical condition that distorted his facial features.  In fact, his features are so different that he makes the subjects in Picasso’s paintings look like gods and goddesses.

Because of the people’s reactions to his … uncommon features, Auggie’s parents kept him at home.  Being home-schooled has turned him into a very smart boy, but also a boy without any friends.  Auggie’s parents finally decide to enroll him in an actual school, and it’s a decision that changes the life of Auggie and everyone around him forever.

First off, I am just so happy I finally got to read a book for young adults that have nothing to do with vampires, werewolves and all those creatures from the Other/Netherworld (frankly, I am sick of reading those books and I wish writers and publishers would stop churning those out).  I am also relieved that this book is sex- and lust-free (parents will not have to worry if they see their kids reading this).  It is a joy to read a book for children where the kids are believable, both in their thoughts, their words and actions.  You read about Auggie and his other classmates and you realize there are children just like that in your own universe --- those who love dogs, those who love action/fantasy movies, the geeks, the popular ones, those who want to rush into adulthood very quickly, those whose families face poverty, those who’ve never known what it’s like to be poor, etc. 

R.J. Palacio writes about a world we were all part of at some point in our lives.  A world that seems so carefree, and yet has its own share of problems.  A world that asks one question, ever so subtly:  What would you like to be when you grow up? 

“Wonder” is a book that asks many important questions that young readers (and not-so-young readers like myself) need to pay attention to and answer on a daily basis.  You know, all the questions that get pushed aside because you’re too preoccupied with daily living.  Questions like, what do I consider important in my life?  Will I be loyal to my family?  Will I support a friend, no matter what?  Will I go along with what the crowd wishes, or stand up for my own opinions?  How will I react to something or someone that’s different?  Will I be loving?  Will I be honest?  Will I be brave?  Will I be kind?

The author writes about a very imperfect world, where the people can be shallow, selfish and mean.  But this is what makes this book stand apart from the others.  She writes about people who are ultimately choose to do good and be good, despite the obstacles they face.  In this day and age (where almost everyone seems to aspiring to be Satan’s replacement), a book such as this one offers its readers a very rare but desirable commodity:  hope for mankind.

I predict that this book will be a beloved classic in the years to come.  It’s so good that I have decided to add a new classification to my rating.  R.J. Palacio’s “Wonder”  isn’t just a “keeper 5,” but a life-changing, life-affirming 6.

Go buy this book and be transformed.

RATING:  6





Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento